I visited my parents one Sunday and sitting in the armchair in their living room I asked my dad, “Does your mantle clock still have that beautiful chime?” He looked at the clock, “Yes, every quarter of an hour,” he said, “but we never hear it – never!”
The time was one minute to four and as my dad said those words the clock began to chime. My mother entered the room and hearing what we had been talking about replied, “we are so use to it chiming, that we no longer hear it… unless, it is winding down, then it makes a horrible noise and we take notice.”
I myself heard it every 15 minutes whilst I was there, that is because I had not got use to the sound, and so focused on what I was listening to, each time it chimed.
As I thought about this, it reminded me of St Padre Pio’s words about how we no longer listen to God’s voice because He is speaking to us constantly, and we no longer hear Him because we are too used to His voice. Perhaps, like the clock, we will only hear His voice when He makes a horrible noise, in other words, when He says something we do not wish to hear, something which awakens us from our sleep.
Are we asleep in the armchair, taking no notice of God’s voice? Are we, like St Pio tells us, no longer listening for God’s voice because we are so used to hearing His message? Perhaps we need to study our Father’s words once more, so that we awake and pay attention, taking action upon what we hear.
Please follow & like us :)
Popular This Week
- Healing Miracles of The Shroud of Turin
- St Anthony and the Mule (A Eucharistic Miracle)
- The Praying Hands and more
- Powerful Prayers Vatican Exorcist Uses to Drive Out Evil
- A True Divine Mercy Miracle of St Faustina
- Two U.S. Marines Saved By St Michael
- St. John Bosco and the mysterious dog who protected him
- Saint John Vianney and the Devil
- The Beggar and Pope John Paul II
- THE LORD’S PRAYER — For the Souls of the Dead
Recommended Christian Sites